January 1998 to present
PUBLISHER, POPCORN PRESS
- Managing, editing, and publishing fiction, poetry, and table-top games as a family-owned publishing house. (www.popcornpress.com)
- (Also translating a Spanish role-playing game to English for Nocturnal Media.)
January 1998 to June 2015
WRITER/TECHNOLOGIST, SEBRANEK, INC.
- Writer of research-paper (MLA, APA, CMS, CSE), poetry, and technology chapters for a k-12 line of writing textbooks.
- Contributor to other k-12, college-level, and business-writing texts.
- Editor and writer for the company’s Web sites: www.thewritesource.com, www.upwritepress.com, and ebook sites.
- Managing editor of the UpWrite Press bimonthly eTips newsletter.
- Launched the company’s e-Publishing Department.
- Managed the company’s first e-book title, and innovated a solution to keep it’s Web links perpetually updated.
- Troubleshooter of various Web-related technology issues.
March 1996 to to January 1998
CHIEF DEVELOPER, IMPERIUM GAMES
- Co-designed the Sovereign Stone™ role-playing game.
- Wrote the Zero™ role-playing game.
- Headed development of the Traveller™ role-playing game line for Imperium Games.
- Designed the Chaos Progenitus™ collectible dice game.
November 1995 to February 1996
CHIEF DESIGNER, COMICO GAMING, INC.
- Designed the Year of the Rat™ collectible dice game.
October 1992 to November 1995
DESIGNER & EDITOR, TSR, INC.
- Designed the Dragon Dice™ collectible dice game (1995 Origins Award winner), and the majority of its 1995 and 1996 supplements. Wrote and edited various role-playing projects, including the Bughunters® role-playing game (author), the Planes of Chaos boxed set (coauthor with Wolfgang Baur) for the Planescape® campaign setting, as well as the Red Steel™ campaign setting (editor).
January 1992 to October 1992
SPANISH-TO-ENGLISH TRANSLATOR, SJG
- Translated Spanish-language business letters to English, from Steve Jackson Games’ business partner in Barcelona.
September 1991 to October 1992
MANAGING EDITOR, GDW, INC.
- Contracted and edited properties for the Dark Conspiracy™ and Dangerous Journeys™ role-playing games, and Journeys™ magazine. Contributed to the initial development of the Traveller: The New Era™ role-playing game.
November 1986 to September 1991
DESIGNER & EDITOR, GDW, INC.
- Authored the Traveller: 2300™ role-playing game, and worked as managing editor for the line. Also wrote or edited various products for the Twilight: 2000™ and Space: 1889™ role-playing games, and designed various board games.
1989 to 1991
- GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT: Taught English 101 at Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
1976 to 1984
- WELDER & SHEET-METAL WORKER: Fabricated electrical controls at General Electric General Purpose Control, Bloomington, IL.
1998 to present
1989 to 1991
- Illinois State University, Normal, IL., MA Writing (ABT)
1985 to 1989
- Illinois State University, Normal, IL., BA, magna cum laude
Major: English; minor: Spanish
1982 to 1983
- P. N. Bloomington School of Practical Nursing.
- Departmental Honors in English and University Honors Scholar
- Canning Scholarship
May 2006 to Jan. 2013
- President, Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets (two terms)
- Writing workshops in middle school, high school, and university classrooms
- Former Illinois Army National Guard Medic